Sunday, July 4, 2010

Lightboxing and tracing.

While cleaning out an old longbox and throwing some comics, that would, in my opinion, make better kindling than reading, I came across an issue of a miniseries from the late 90's, early 2000's. I won't say exactly which, and I won't say who, because this artist isn't accountable to me and I have no reason to call him out. But it was, without exaggeration, one of the most shameful uses of tracing I've ever seen. Its a personal and professional preference of mine to avoid art that is plainly lightboxed or traced in some way, based mostly on the fact that it isn't enjoyable to look at. Please, don't anyone take this as some sort of passed judgement on artists who do this as their living. It is in no way a reflection of their abilities, just my own personal puzzlement as to why one would choose to do it they (sometimes) obviously have the talent to draw everything themselves. I can't accept "it's easier" or "it's still my art" as a justification for oh-so many reasons, I'm sorry.

Somewhere along the line, and we'll probably never know exactly why it happened, there was an influx of this type of art shoving aside cartoonists in favor of realistic figures that have the faces, feature for feature, of the people we see when we go to the movie theater.

This one in particular had over a dozen easily recognizable actors popping up throughout the issue. And this, brace yourselves, is the worst of it; it was an issue of Star Wars. This artist, in his wisdom, chose to lightbox actors other than the ones readily available from the original films. That, at least, I would have understood doing, in the interests of continuity.

I'm not entirely certain, and now certainly ashamed, as to why I bought this issue but I assure you it's gone to the recycling bin, at some point hopefully to be recycled into a real comic book, if there is any sort of Karma.

No comments:

Post a Comment